[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - shop as post-partner

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:34:39 UTC 2021

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 13:01, Robin Burek <robin.burek at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> post_office:type is in use in France for ex
> post_office:type=post_partner with amenity=post_office
> to describe the additional feature in a shop.
> looking at [2], it seems to be used in other countries as well.
>
> The problem is: There are (in Germany, where else) everytime two nodes for
> one shop/amenity. That don't discribe the reality, it creates a lot of modification
> effort if you want to update openinghours or when the shop itself is
> closing.  For complaning - in Germany: You have one shop/amenity (sometimes
> a craft also) and this shop/amenity operates the postal services by
> themself on behalf. And this isn't a post office, it is a shop with post
> services.

Several decades ago, large towns and cities in the UK would have a
main post office (which usually did nothing but postal services) and
several sub-post offices (official terminology) which were shops which
also did a complete, or almost-complete range of postal services.

These days, some main post offices have closed as independent operations
and now the main post office is a separate area within a supermarket or
large shop.  These days many shops can sell stamps without being
regarded in any way as post offices.

Oh, and we now have shops that act as collection points for various
parcel delivery companies and may also accept parcels (such as
returned items) for collection by those companies.

Your proposal seems to be a messy hybrid of all these things,
possibly applicable to shops that just sell stamps.  There are a
lot of shops that just sell stamps.

Also, if you achieve your aim of merging both the shop and the
postal services into one object, which one gets rendered and why?
I've mapped a few shops which are also either main post offices
or sub-post offices and both icons show up.  It's a shop.  It's
a post office.  And people get to see both icons on the map.
If they're looking for a post office, there's the icon.  If they're
looking for a shop, there's the icon.

See, for example, https://www.siopypentre.co.uk/ a convenience
store and post office which offers (in their words) "Post office and
banking.
Wholefoods, refill service on laundry and beauty products, local produce and
bread. Happy shopper value goods. Homemade sandwiches and local bean to
cup coffee."  They also rent out the upstairs rooms as a holiday cottage.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=52.05539&mlon=-4.63278#map=19/52.05539/-4.63278

BTW, "Siop y Pentre" is Welsh for "Village Shop," so they undercut all the
other Welsh village shops with that domain name, and might not have
been allowed to register it if the registrars understood Welsh. :)

--
Paul