[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 137, Issue 111

ET Commands etcommands at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 18:59:48 UTC 2021

> Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 13:20:39 +0100 (CET)
> From: Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Cc: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> 	<tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] better classification systems
>

> Feb 12, 2021, 21:35 by tomasstraupis at gmail.com:
>
>> 2021-02-12, pn, 20:04 Colin Smale rašė:
>>
>>> I am not talking about changes to the tagging, but a review of the governance of the tagging.
>>>
>> This is of utter importance as currently governance is a total mess:
>>   * no way to decide (and therefore some
>> profane/pointless/unrepresentative wiki-"votings" exist)
>>
> Like it or not, but wiki voting disliked by you and tagging mailing list
> discussions and tagging discussions happening elsewhere and tangle of
> mappers, validators, editors are how we decide things
> (for vast majority of tagging decisions are clear with some problematic
> cases and aspects)
>
>>   * no way to enforce (several iD coders decide themselves what is a
>> "correct" tagging irrespective of mapper community)
>>
>>   And I would say governance is the FIRST thing which needs to be
>> fixed because nothing can be fixed without it - there is currently NO
>> OWNER of OpenStreetMap.
>>
> If OSM would be owned/ruled/controlled by one specific entity I
> would be not contributing to it.
>
> I am also deeply skeptical about idea that making someone
> Imperator and Ruler of Tagging would improve situation
> (even attempting that would have massively negative effects).
>
> I have seen some people attempting to do this on smaller or larger scale
> (including myself, on very minor issues where I was fortunately
> stopped), you mention another case that had worse fallout and
> is still not entirely resolved.
>
> For me "there is currently NO OWNER of OpenStreetMap" is a big plus
> and feature, and I would oppose anyone trying to change that.

I am in the camp that believes OSM would benefit from governance.  I
don't think OSM will ever reach its potential without it, bringing some
sort of order out of the chaos.  As long as those in authority were
flexible and open to change, I think it could work.  Even though it
would mean I would have to change all my maps, and would probably have
to make ongoing modifications, I would still be in favor.

Mark