[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse bush

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Feb 15 03:29:53 UTC 2021

If nothing else, this discussion has reset my perception that natural=scrub is used more widely than how I thought and how I and others around me use it.  With its natural key, I only tag natural=scrub on "wild."  It turns out I haven't read this [1] wiki recently enough.  It explicitly states right up top "including (features) that have been modified or created by humans."  But if you click on scrub [2] a bit further down, you get our wiki which states "areas of UNCULTIVATED land covered with shrubs, bushes or stunted trees."  (Emphasis mine).  That's a fairly in-my-face (in our faces) contradiction between possibly cultivated and absolutely not cultivated.

I was also led here [3], showing us that such counter-intuitivity does happen in OSM.  What to do?  Communicate!  Read wiki, discuss (here, there, everywhere...well, I exaggerate), talk to other OSM folk about natural and landuse and landcover.  They are an active discussion, for sure!

(I chuckled mirthfully at the usage of strikeout type I was recently sent!)

SteveA

[1] https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:natural
[2] https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dscrub
[3] https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Counterintuitive_key_names