[Tagging] Binding numbers

Skyler Hawthorne osm at dead10ck.com
Tue Feb 16 01:46:01 UTC 2021

The postal service usually wouldn't care about the building number, but sometimes for large apartment complexes, they will number the buildings so that people can find where a specific unit is. One example is here:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/371980049

It's not mapped in the tags, but on the ground, all of the buildings here are labeled "Building A," "Building B," etc, and marked on signposted maps so that people can locate specific units. Each building has several units in it. So the actual mailing address wouldn't include the building number, but you might write it out as:

600 North Whisman Road, Building B, Unit 4, Mountain View, CA 94043