[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - holy well

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 21:45:00 UTC 2021

BTW: "pattern" is an Irish English term for "Patron Saint". So that part of
the definition should be translated fro Irisch English to British English.
And Christian "Saints" are not deities, at least according to the official
Roman Catholic Teaching. So this would "entty of veneratio (Saint,
deity,...)"

I am aware of such places also in the Roman Catholic German speaking areas.
There is often a spring near or even inside a chapel. It works in a
different way: people go to the chapel and pray to the local Saint and use
the supposed healing capabilities of the water. For example they may wash
their head against headaches and the like, because that particular spring
can help, I guess I would not call the well holy, but the chapel would be
holy place. Obviously many of these places date back to ancient Roman
times, when each spring had its own deuty. When the Christian faith arrived
the priests tried would build on the local traditions, and build a chapel
or church on top of the Roman sanctuary, and replaced the "pagan" deity
with a "Christian" Saint.
What i'm really asking: is the well the holy object of devotion, or the
nearby chapel or shrine or cross.
And, obviously, there are other parts of the world where the spring or well
itself is the residence of a deity..
Coming back to the Chistian context: I know of places where the chapel is
near to a spring or well, but not on top of it. And the spring or well can
be also a short distance away. Would that chapel still be "with a holy
well", or would the spring be the holy place and the chapel a separate,
nearby holy place?

Regards

Violker

Virus-free.