[Tagging] Access restrictions and expressway=yes

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Feb 23 01:57:32 UTC 2021

On Feb 22, 2021, at 5:48 AM, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Be careful when you use the term "developed". Local communities become offended. Developed in which sense, as creating paved highways, as being able to incorporate natural materials and tracks in a natural environment, I wouldn't call them developing in general.
> They are much more developed in the sense of experience and integration of highways in a luckily still mostly pristine natural environment. I can't say that of most of the regions in the western world.
> Better use terms like in tropical countries, southern hemisphere etc.., these countries are much more developed in many senses.
> (This is a kind remark as a counterbalance to the western domination :) ). Maybe the HFCS should be regarded as not a favourable development, an example of a "developing" nation when it comes to climate change and respect for the environment.

I am indeed sensitive to "developed," having seen its transition in (US) English during the 1970s through about the 1990s from "third world" (shudder!) to a spectrum of "less developed, developing, developed."  If there are newer, more appropriate ways to denote these semantics, I am only now becoming aware of them and thank all who can help me / us better understand what they are and their proper usage, so I appreciate Bert's remarks.  Though, I'm still not quite sure what (if anything) supplants "developing" and its ilk right now.  Certainly, I want to be sensitive to more appropriate language to use; I am not unaware of these not-so-subtle sometimes-gaffes of verbiage being offensive and I absolutely do not wish to offend.

Thank you,
SteveA