[Tagging] Proposed feature - Voting - electricity

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 13:48:13 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 1. Jan 2021, at 14:19, Lukas Richert <lrichert at posteo.de> wrote:
>
> I would say common sense dictates that not having electricity for some minutes 2-3 times a year does not represent a significant probability that electricity will be unavailable.

but it means that while it would be generally available you could not really rely on it, btw. even if the outage was some seconds and not minutes.

> As mentioned in the paper https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tej.2020.106828, it seems that there is no clear definition of what constitutes reliable electricity access. The definition proposed in the linked paper: an electricity source is reliable if "a maximum threshold of 12 outages in a typical year for SAIFI and 12 hours of power outage per year" is not exceeded. This seems reasonable and could be included to define what "significant" means in this case.

I don’t share this conclusion, having in average an outage per month would be seen quite unreliable in some contexts. Definitely worth getting a power backup / UPS. For example I never spent a thought on power backups in Germany, because it happened at most once every few years, while after moving to Italy I found that almost everybody using a desktop computer had an UPS, and for good reason, several outages (seconds usually) a year made it a good investment also for home use. Now in both countries it is probably safe to say that there is complete (there are of course many remote places with no coverage, like alpin huts etc., complete regarding settlements) and uninterrupted coverage, but regarding reliability, the differences - while neglectible compared to what was discussed here, 3 hours a day without electricity - are still significant.

From my point of view, 12 outages a year are not what I’d call reliable. I am aware that other regions of the globe would be very happy with this kind of service. For which context is this tagging thought for?

Cheers Martin