[Tagging] Use of the name=* on features internal to named areas

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 20:38:22 UTC 2021

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 at 20:27, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> We shouldn't synthesise a name that doesn't exist by
>> adding the name of the enclosing area, but when that
>> is in the actual name...
>>

> If the actual (commonly-used, local) name includes the name of the
> enclosing area, then we aren't constructing a name, so that seems
> consistent?

I don't think your change makes it sufficiently clear.  It reads like it is
always wrong to have "Foo Park Bandstand" for a bandstand in
Foo Park, even if the actual name on a plaque on the thing
says it is "Foo Park Bandstand."

Some people don't take the time to think through the logic.  Or
read into a sentence what they want to see there.  So I think
a judicious "unless it actually is the name" would not go amiss.

--
Paul