[Tagging] Proposed feature - Voting - electricity

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 14:55:25 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 at 14:32, Lukas Richert <lrichert at posteo.de> wrote:

> When a country completely switches to renewable energies in their grid, I
> would be overjoyed to completely delete the electricity:grid:origin tags in
> that region.

So you think it necessary to wait for 100% renewable on the grid?
99.99999% is not good enough?  How about 99%?  98%?  Where
do you draw the line on that?

In reality, the point where the tag can be removed is when nobody
advertises the source any more.  And that will come long before
100% (or 98%) switchover on the grid.  At some point there is
no financial return to be had from advertising renewable sources,
when non-renewable sources are a rare exception.  That point
will actually be even earlier than that, when renewables are
common enough that the gains from advertising renewable
sources fall short of the costs of the advertising.

> Most countries are aiming for this to occur by 2050 with many still falling

China recently changed the game.  It realized it was now cheaper to use
renewables than non-renewables, so committed to a shorter timescale.
Economies of scale from China alone mean that renewable costs,
already cheaper than non-renewable, will fall even more.  There's
a reason Exxon-Mobil is no longer in the Dow Jones 30-stock
benchmark: it's not going to be a big profit maker in the future
so people are no longer paying a lot for the stock.

Advanced countries with competent leadership are starting to follow
China's lead as they realize there's a large manufacturing industry
developing that will be based in China unless they set up their own
industries.  They either compete with China now or buy the hardware
from China for a long time to come.

We have reached a tipping-point in the climate change crisis: the one
where it's cheaper RIGHT NOW to do something than not do
something.  Future returns are not great drivers: "Do something
now or you'll regret it in 30 years because of the expense of
dealing with severe climate change" doesn't influence markets
much.  "Do it now and you'll make money now" is a great driver.

I don't see this tag having a long life.

--
Paul