[Tagging] Cartpath RFC

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 01:19:57 UTC 2021

I'm an American, so I've only heard of "golf carts." Can we confirm that
the term "golf car" is widely used in Britain and also in other countries
where British-influenced English is spoken, e.g. India, Australia,
Singapore, New Zealand etc?

The British dictionaries I can find mainly mention "golf cart" or "golf
buggy", and have no results for "golf car":
https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/golf-cart?q=golf+cart
https://www.lexico.com/definition/golf_cart
https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/british/golf-cart
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/golf_cart

In this British English corporus there is only 1 results for "golf car",
but 11 results for "golf cart", and 2 results for "golf buggy".
https://www.english-corpora.org/bnc/

It's possible that "golf buggy" is somewhat common in Britain, but "golf
car" seems quite rare.

-- Joseph Eisenberg