[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Jan 4 00:26:49 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 5:29 PM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe this was not clear in my question: these mini-rest-areas are all on
> foot-cycle or cycle-only paths, not on roads open to motorized traffic.
> They have no (toilet) services and mostly no tables. I suspect that
> somewhere in the thicket of laws here in Italy there is one that says "on
> every x km of new foot-cycle paths or cyclepaths there has to be a rest
> area of at least x square meters with at least one bench, one rubbish bin,
> a bicycle rack and an (empty) information board. I'm sure the law does not
> say they have to be in nice places, because most are not. Also most of them
> are tiny, noy much more than beach-towel size.

I wouldn't call those rest areas at all.  The kind of rest area on
cycleways are more analogous to the motorist version, or in a couple cases,
serve both a major thoroughfare and a major cycleway.  Only difference
between what motorists can do that bicyclists can't (in most cases) is
sleep in their vehicle.

Do we even need a specific tag for this?  Suffice to say a small plaza with
a bench, information board and a place to pull a bicycle off the cycleway
or path is a pretty global phenomenon, but is it really more than just
checking the boxes for features that a pretty common group of design
standards requires at regular intervals to just all occur in the same place
out of convenience?  I feel like a motorist equivalent to what you're
describing is an emergency parking pullout with an emergency telephone and
a milepost, albeit oriented more to human than mechanical endurance and
having a primarily nonemergency application.  It's not like we tag those as
highway=rest_area...