Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 22:25:45 UTC 2021

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 at 23:08, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What about when the alignment of the former railway is now going directly
> through someone's living room?  Would that be acceptable to determine via
> imagery?

Yes. If they build their home on a razed piece of railway.
Dont' forget, I am not mapping a highway that someone can walk on.
As deriving information from imagery, ok, it could be off, and in reality
it was the bedroom, and not the living room. A precision of 10m would be
perfectly sufficient for something that serves only as an indication to
connect visible bits.These stretches of razed:railway=rail are only
connector lines that are hidden in the data of OSM. Only special rendering
would make them visible.
A bit like underground gas pipelines, they can be and sometimes are mapped
in OSM. The position precision is approximative, unless they are based on
imported construction data. At the surface no trace, apart from the
occasional venting station (I believe that's what they are) and some
warning signs,.The standard rendering does not show them. Admitted, they
are unlikely to pass under a house.

Volker