[Tagging] Changing proposal process rules - RFC

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Thu Jan 7 04:23:07 UTC 2021

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 08:55:40 +1000
Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 05:23, Lukas Richert <lrichert at posteo.de> wrote:
>

> > This seems to be my current problem - half of commentors want everything
> > quantified and described precisely. The other half now say it is
> > "overworked" and too long. And the comments only come up during voting
> > when I'm not supposed to change anything in the proposal anymore.
>

> Yep! :-(
>
> The Proposal Process page currently says that for voting "*At this point
> there must be only one proposal on the page, which should not be changed
> anymore, so it's clear what is being voted on*."
>
> Maybe we need to modify this a bit: "Comments may only be made during RFC.
> Once a proposal goes to voting, it is final" & then enforce it by
> dis-allowing no votes that haven't raised comments, or asked questions,
> earlier?

I am quite guilty of what you describe but I think this is actually a
symptom of lack of visibility.

> > Overall, I too would be in favour of having a vote-by-email system that
> > is sent out to all frequent mappers. Thus, many more mappers might
> > become involved in thinking about tagging as a whole.

Note that promoting (the start) of votes only without also dramatically
increasing the awareness of drafts/RFCs would likely increase the
problem mentioned in the first paragraph, i.e., that comments are only
raised at voting because people look at the proposal for the first time
at this point. I think this is actually a symptom of having too little
feedback during the pre-vote phase. A sufficiently scrutinized proposal
should not have such problems.