[Tagging] Changing proposal process rules - RFC

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 23:28:04 UTC 2021

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 19:17, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On 7 Jan 2021, at 05:57, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > So there are near 1100 proposals which never moved forward versus only a
> little over 400 which were approved or rejected: almost 3 out of 4 are
> never brought to a vote. This makes it sensible to not spend too much time
> discussing a proposal unless the author seems serious and well organized.
>
> I’ve made some proposals which I never bothered to bring to vote, or only
> after someone “forced” me to do it, because of any tags you like. I saw
> proposals where the thing was in a pre-voting state but already adopted by
> the community, as good enough, particularly when the key/value page is
> redirected to the proposal. These things are often years old and may have
> hundreds or thousands of uses. Common practice was creating a documentation
> page based on the proposal text (after checking that actual usage
> apparently agreed).
>
> Maybe many of those 1100 pre-voting proposals do not have to “move
> forward” in a formal voting process sense?

So I started having a look at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Proposals_with_%22Proposed%22_status
page, to check RFC dates & so on.

Looking at the first ~70 (to the bottom of the "G"s), there are only 6
proposals that have gone to RFC since Nov 2020 (ie 2 months old) & 2 more
from Sept 2020 (4 months), which would suggest that out of 206 "current"
proposals, there would likely be only ~25 that could be in any way
considered "active" ie still being worked on.

Of the 70 (which date back to Nov 2010!), 11 have TagInfo data showing that
they are in use (area:highway apparently 170000 times!), although none of
them were ever voted on. 2 did go to vote, were rejected, but are still
there?

Quite a number were raised, discussed for a few days & then nothing further
has happened over several years.

So a clean-up of that page, to either mark proposals as De Facto /
Accepted, or return them to Draft / Inactive, would make a considerable
difference!

Thanks

Graeme