[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=centre

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 01:54:08 UTC 2021

If it has inpatient beds where you can stay overnight with a nurse on call,
24/7, if needed, then it is an amenity=hospital.

If it only has outpatient facilities then it sounds like a large
amenity=clinic, plus perhaps a separate laboratory (healthcare=laboratory),
dentist office (amenity=dentist), and maybe even an imaging center (see the
related thread to discuss that) and an "urgent care" clinic? Though it
might be fine to tag these as properties of the clinic if they are all part
of one operation with a shared lobby and shared check-in or reception.

Since it is already hard enough to distinguish amenity=clinic from
amenity=doctors, it would be hard to add a third level of outpatient
facility larger than a clinic. (I would be interested in a new tag for
outpatient surgery facilities which have specialized operating rooms but no
inpatient beds, but it does not sound like that is part of your example)

As an example, the building where I work has a primary care clinic with a
half-dozen physicians and an equal number of Nurse Practitioners
(Pediatrics and Family Medicine), a lab for blood draws, urine tests, and
other usual things. Then there is also a pharmacy in the same building, a
dental clinic on another floor, a senior services center, an office for
social workers and some other health department offices. Sometimes there is
an in-person voting center at the time of elections.

Just like we would map each office as a separate feature in a big office
building, I think these should each be mapped as separate features - though
since the laboratory is only part of the clinic we could include it as a
property, and that can also be the case when there are x-rays or ultrasound
available at a clinic.

-- Joseph Eisenberg