[Tagging] Classifying hospitals (Was: Deprecate healthcare=centre)

Jerry Clough Sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 11 14:45:16 UTC 2021

I think you need to be careful here: what counts as a hospital will vary
greatly according to the status of the healthcare system & population
density.

The number of hospitals with emergency departments (a&e, trauma) is
declining because the best patient outcomes occur in large centres with
24/7 coverage & a broader range of diagnostic tools. Notwithstanding
this every local closure of an emergency department is fought fiercly
(at least in UK & Ireland).

Just because a hospital does not have an emergency department, does not
mean that it doesnt accept emergency admissions (better thought of as
unplanned, although some will be true emergencies). Smaller hospitals in
the UK are now likely to be GP-led (i.e., there are no dedicated
consultant staff, but they will cover out-patient clinics (perhaps with
a roving consultant), minor injuries, simpler diagnostics (biopsies,
bloods etc), day case surgery (e.g., in-grown toenails), and will have a
number of in-patient beds. They may even offer maternity services, but
am not sure of that. So these are still hospitals not clinics. Case in
point & the one I know best is Campbeltown Hospital which is needed
because it's over 200 km over poorish roads to the big hospitals in
Glasgow & true emergencies dont get an ambulance but a helicopter.

At the other end of the spectrum there are tertiary hospitals which only
accept patients referred from another hospital. There are quite a number
in London, such as the Royal Marsden (cancer), the National Hospital
(neurology), Hammersmith (national tertiary centre), and a few others
scattered across the country (e.g., Papworth in Cambridge).

Psychiatric hospitals are also of this type, and in some countries there
are probably still centres treating TB.

The NHS data model has precise detailed definitions of the entire
vocabulary of healthcare, and similar work was done some 30 years ago on
a pan-European basis (RICHE Esprit project). The former at least is a
useful place to check ideas for tagging on OSM.

tl;dr: absence of an emergency department does not stop something being
a hospital.