[Tagging] Junkyards? (was: landuse=depot?)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:11:44 UTC 2021

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 at 21:03, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That's a good point: these aircraft boneyards are more like junkyards
> which are full of old motor vehicles which may be dismantled for spare
> parts or scrap.

There are ways in which they are not.  Junkyards do have vehicles waiting to
be scrapped, and you may be able to get spare parts from them, but those
vehicles ARE eventually stripped/crushed/whatever and recycled.

These boneyards are theoretically scrapyards in that they can be
mined for spare parts (but almost never are).  They are theoretically
commercial operations that sell second-hand aircraft (but almost never
are).  Practically, they are dumps from which nothing will ever be
removed, although legally they are not (because we have
recycling regulations to adhere to).

Aircraft operators park their unwanted aircraft in a large depot for
when they may need them again (which is never).

--
Paul