[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=centre

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:41:45 UTC 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 18:07, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The existence of things that do not have existing tags does not mean that
> we should use healthcare=center, which currently has no clear definition or
> usage.

If it has no clear definition or usage then there is also no reason we
shouldn't co-opt it.

> > Re: "It has too many specialities to call it a clinic. "
>
> You must not have heard of the Mayo Clinic

It has too many specialities to call it a clinic in the OSM sense.

> But I am very happy if you want to propose a new tag for one of these
> outpatient multi-specialty "Integrated Care Centre" facilites.

Yeah, after you've deprecated healthcare=centre so nobody uses it, that
frees it up for integrated care centres.

> Since we use British terminology you can just use
> "amenity=integrated_care" or "healthcare=integrated_care", though
> "integrated care" sounds more like advertising copy than an actual term for
> the kind of facility.

The whole rationale for the things looks like an extended exercise in
management speak.  I can't say I like the name, the concept, or the
implementation.  But "integrated care" seems to be the primary term,
and is defined by WHO.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_care

> It might be clearer to use a tag like "healthcare=multispeciality" for a
> building which has many medical specialties with one shared name and shared
> reception, contact info and administration.

You are making assumptions.  The two I know of are single buildings,
although one is more of a number of buildings with connecting corridors.
There is a shared reception, but the general practise and dental
practise each have their own reception: the share reception points
you at the individual receptions and it is those individual receptions
you check in to.  The different specialities each have their own
phone numbers and each has its own address within the general
address.  Administration of doctors and dental practise are separate
from the rest of it, though partly subordinate.

There is some commonality, but not as much as you seem to think.
It's better to think of it as a hospital without beds.  Tag the grounds,
including the car parking.  Put nodes in the building(s) for the
individual "clinics."  I mapped mine as a clinic, but that's
increasingly feeling like a horrible bodge.  I'm tempted to map
the grounds as a hospital instead, until we sort something out.

--
Paul