[Tagging] Deprecate healthcare=centre

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 21:19:50 UTC 2021


On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 19:07, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Re: "Yeah, after you've deprecated healthcare=centre so nobody uses it"
>
> That's not what "deprecate" means. In software development,
>

This isn't software development.  I know what it means in software
development and what it means here.  You missed the point I was
making.

>
> A tag that is "deprecated" is usually still in the database, but we
> recommend that it not be used, because there are better tags available.
>

You think there are better tags available, which is why you want to
deprecate it.  I disagree.  If you succeed in deprecating it, I (and
perhaps others) will call for a new tag that defines broadly the
same thing and which has a wiki page which looks broadly
similar (with perhaps a few clarifications as to usage).

It seems a waste of time to deprecate healthcare=X and
then come up with healthcare=Y that is almost exactly the
same when we could just clarify the wiki.

I could understand you saying "healthcare=X is too vague,
we need to split it into healthcare=Y and healthcare=Z" and
I might agree with that.  But that's not what you're saying.
You just want to get rid of healthcare=X and anyone with
healthcare=Y or healthcare=Z is left hanging in the breeze.

In this case healthcare=centre has been used 46k times, mostly in India,
> where it was used for 4 different features: village health posts, private
> doctor's offices, neighborhood clinics, and regional hospitals:
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/healthcare=centre - compare India,
> with 90% of uses:
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.in/search?q=healthcare%3Dcentre
>

Mappers do some strange things.  Let's deprecate all tags to stop some of
them making mistakes like that.  It seems clear that many of those will
have to be retagged sooner or later.

So it will take a long time to retag these features appropriately as
> hospitals, clinics, doctor's offices, and health posts in India, and then
> there will still be 8000 other uses to retag in France and other countries.
>

But it will happen.  Eventually.

It's not practical to redefine tags in OpenStreetMap to mean something
> specific, when they are widely used to mean many different things.
>

Or we could clarify the wiki page.  Because you already said that those
WILL be retagged (however slowly) where appropriate.  At which point
healthcare=centre will have only a limited meaning and limited
misusage.

Much better to pick a new value which is more specific and clear.
>

I might be willing to accept that, but in another thread you want to replace
it with something more specific and clearly not what I want it for.  As
vague as it is at present, it fits what I want to map,  Your proposed
replacement
doesn't fit what I want to map.

-- 
Paul
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20210114/4fbbaf37/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Tagging mailing list