[Tagging] Fw: Narrowing the application range of the smoothness tags

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 23:42:17 UTC 2021

On 14/01/2021 22:22, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 at 19:36, Richard Smits via Tagging
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>> wrote:
>
>     Not a single response since I posted my RFC here... :(
>

> I'll agree with all the other comments to say that this will always be
> a very subjective determination, in that one person's Very Bad is OK
> for someone else. I've got to say though that I really don't like
> "Horrible" & "Very Horrible"!

I'm not a fan either, but I suspect we're stuck with those names now,
given that there are lots of values in the database already.

> & in regards to your example photo of "Impassable", I take it you've
> never done much off-road four-wheel driving, because most 4wds would
> eat that track! :-)

That is a bit of an issue, as the pictures really don't match the
words.  The picture for "impassible" is
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Ben_Nevis_Mountain_Track.jpg ,
which was famously ascended by car in 1911:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44003271 . I'd
certainly have no qualms driving a normal car along the track in the
"very_bad" picture.

I tend to go by the descriptions on the page when tagging things:

  * bad - suitable for regular use by any car
  * very_bad - cars with reasonable ground clearance (e.g. any SUV, many
    vans and lorries)
  * horrible - traditional Land Rover / Hilux / Navara etc.
  * very_horrible - tractors etc.

Obviously I'm thinking in terms of regular 4 wheeled vehicles here -
something might be in one category for car drivers and another for
cyclists, based purely on the size of the holes and the ground clearance
needed between left and right wheels (the "horrible" example
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Jena_Trackexample_profile.jpg
specifically mentions that in the picture description).  However some
classification is surely better than none, and it's not worth debating
whether a particular stretch should be "horrible" or "very_horrible" -
either value would hopefully indicate that it wasn't a nice smooth road.

Best Regards,

Andy