[Tagging] Discussion & possible deprecation of various Lifeguard tags

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 03:02:08 UTC 2021

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 12:14, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 11:07, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> But with opening_hours= being listed under the lifeguard tag only, not
>> the beach tag itself, would there be any confusion?
>>

> You could, I'd still also tag it on the beach otherwise you need a way to
> link the lifeguard service to specific beaches (eg as a data consumer if I
> want to show which beaches are patrolled now).

Fair enough.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural=beach#How_to_map recommends
> to use supervised for beaches with a lifeguard service, so before we change
> anything it would be good to hear if anyone is actually using supervised on
> beaches to mean something else apart from patrolled by lifeguards.

I'll openly admit that I'm not that great on TagInfo, but searching
supervised, then looking for a combination with beach shows only 2 uses:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/?key=supervised#combinations, &
nothing for natural=beach, although there are 1800+ "natural" - I don't
know how to drill down further into them though?

Trying supervised=yes,
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/supervised=yes#combinations, seems
to indicate that it is mostly used for parking, access & similar, with
nothing shown for natural / beach.

Thanks

Graeme