[Tagging] Denominations vs religions organisations

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 10:59:08 UTC 2021

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 at 21:59, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

Also 90% or more of current denomination tags are big categories like
> "evangelical" or "orthodox" (Jewish) or "tibetan" (Buddhist) so we would
> have to retag most of the existing usage to match the full name of the
> organisation.

The full name of the organization may not be the same as the denomination as
it may incorporate things like location or order of incorporation or other
things.

Trying to classify the denomination as a cladistic taxonomy presents
problems
for mappers.  You would have to diligently research the history of schisms
to confidently classify a denomination as Baptist, or Methodist, or
whatever, as it may not be fully apparent from the name.  Instead of
simply tagging the denomination as "Welsh Calvinistic Methodist" you'd
have to start digging (or consult a look-up table that would be hopelessly
incomplete).  Seems like a lot of work every time you want to map
a place of worship.

BTW, I have no idea what distinguishes a Calvinistic Methodist
church from a purely Calvinistic one or a purely Methodist one,
now how the Welsh do it differently from the rest of the world.
I don't really want to put in the time to find out, either.

Then there is the problem that denominations are not monophyletic.
There can be fusions when different clades hybridize.  Is an
Evangelical Baptist church Evangelical, Baptist, both or neither?

The final problem is that this would require massive retagging of
existing places of worship.  That alone is sufficient reason not
to do this.

> Or are you guys just saying "give up on that tag, it's hopeless?" ;-)

Pretty much so.

In any case, if I were to go for something like this I'd prefer brand to
operator.  But I don't have a bargepole long enough to want to do
something like this.

--
Paul