[Tagging] How to tag a street plaque?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Jan 18 15:12:07 UTC 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:45:06 +0100
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> so you sustain that each of these signs is a memorial by itself, and should
> get the historic=memorial tag?

Yes, absolutely. It is indeed different enough from memorial=plaque to
warrant its own tag - I would welcome such an alternative.
But this should happen within the memorial family IMHO, like
memorial=blue_plaque.

> For me it is sufficiently different, because it does not refer to the
> specific place, but is about the street name. Typically, I'd guess more
> often than not in the case of street names referring to people, the street
> has no specific connection to the person after which it is named. Cities
> usually name new streets, and do not change the names of existing streets
> (unless for strong political reasons), and streets get usually named after
> deceased people, which makes a connection of the person and the street
> quite unlikely. To me it would be almost "spamming" the memorial space if
> all these signs or additional information (dates, professions), would be
> "poured in".

Street names that hint on history and persons are numerous, indeed. They
are a very important part of Erinnerungskultur! Take a look at the
following brochure that depicts street names with other forms of
memorials (NB: the cover depicting a plaque exchange due to "strong
political reasons"!):

https://www.wien.gv.at/kultur/abteilung/pdf/gedaechtniskultur.pdf (german/english)

> Compare for example with "Stolpersteine" which are also a huge number of
> objects, but which do have a direct relationship with the place where they
> are set up.
>
> Thinking about the memorials around me, they are all mounted on spots that
> do have a relation with the place, sometimes more loosely as "somewhere in
> the quarter" or the "sons of the city that died in the war", but often also
> exact spots, buildings where something happened or someone lived, etc.

Counter argument: Not all memorials have a strong relation to
their location. Many, especially related to big events like wars (e.g.,
triumphal arch) or plagues (e.g., plague columns aka Pestsäulen) are placed for
representative purposes that have nothing to do with any localized
events.