[Tagging] cycleway:lane=advisory

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:51:01 UTC 2021

Hi,
it seems that people are adopting the  two-year old tag
cycleway:lane=advisory <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway>
tag for the new "soft" bike lanes in various countries in Europe.
We have them too in Italy. (example 1
<https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/uu8fFxtxTsXauu7kZjxxAg>, example 2
<https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/7eknhQC31akzOMeO6z9YgD>)
My problem is:
There is no clear definition in the wiki, but from the wording I assume
that their use is not mandatory, hence the tag value "advisory".
However the new bike lanes in Italy are not advisory for cyclists, but they
are mandatory for cyclists. They are "soft" only for motorised traffic as
they can be used also by motorized traffic when the width of the main
carriageway is not sufficient.
They do have that  problem in common with the "Schutzstreifen" in Germany,
which I believe is tagged in the same way.
They are  "indirectly" mandatory to cyclists, as cyclists have to use by
law the outermost right hand part of the street (that includes the new type
of bike lane)

So the value "advisory" is wrong.

I also found a rejected proposal 2014 for soft_lane
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/cycleway%3Dsoft_lane>(1.3k
in Taginfo) against cycleway
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway:lane>=soft_lane
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:cycleway:lane%3Dadvisory&action=edit&redlink=1>
(1.2k in Taginfo).
This is  similarly woolley as far as language is concerned, but it is at
least not outright wrong.
This still leaves us, at least in Italy with t problem of retrofitting  all
existing old-fashioned "hard" cycle lanes
<https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/dQt63WuB-LejWOhOgqtJ6g> with something
like cycleway:lane=hard I don't dare to count them.

To make things worse in Italy, these "hard" cycle lanes are called "pista
ciclabile"  in the highway code with the effect that there are some cycle
lanes that are tagged as cycleways.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>