[Tagging] How to tag a street plaque?

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Tue Jan 19 15:14:03 UTC 2021

Hello,

Le 19.01.21 à 15:55, António Madeira a écrit :
> I'm more inclined to highway=street_sign, since they're always related
> to highways, and there are already other similar elements, like
> street_lamps, traffic_mirrors, trailheads, etc.
> But if someone has reasons not to add it to those above,
> we can go with man_made=* instead.

I considered starting to add this kind of information in a village
where the streets were a bit "twisted".

I had planned to use man_made=sign for several reasons:
- cluttering up highway=* with anything close to a highway seems like a
bad idea to me, historical examples such as highway=street_lamp are in
my opinion historical mistakes and not a model to follow.
- man_made=sign has the advantage of being extensible to add more such
information.
but in the meantime the tag marker has been approved and is very
similar, except that utility=street_name wouldn't make much sense.

so currently my preference is for something like man_made=sign
sign=street_name or sign=street_sign (it's a bit of a totology)
or sign=street_plaque

Regards,
Marc