[Tagging] RFC: remove alphanumeric code visible in infoboxes at OSM Wiki linking to Wikidata

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 20:27:37 UTC 2021

I support this proposal. These links are usually wrong, and are very
difficult to maintain. See my prior comments at:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template_talk:Description#Wikidata and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template_talk:Description#Wikidata_link)
and
 https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template_talk:ValueDescription#Wikidata)
and
on the Talk mailing list (Starting at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-May/084637.html)

But I think it is unnecessary to use the proposal process for this. The
link was added to the wiki without a proposal and with minimal discussion

If proponents of this want to keep this link in the wiki pages I believe
they have the onus to prove that it is needed and maintainable.

If it is deemed necessary to vote on this, I believe we should use a 50%
margin to add or remove the feature from the wiki, since this is a binary
choice.

-- Joseph Eisenberg