[Tagging] Tag: Military Base & base functions

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 23:45:22 UTC 2021

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 21:44, nathan case <nathancase at outlook.com> wrote:

> I have been through both the military=base and military_service=* pages
> and made a few edits.

Thanks Nathan!

You certainly have!

 I have also added references to both the new tags in all the military=*
> pages (I think). Additionally, I have set military=naval_base as
> depreciated and suggested military=base, military_service=Navy as its
> replacement. I have left military=airfield as it could be independent or
> linked to, but outside of, a base.

I'll just sit back & put my feet up now - you've done all the work! :-)

>  One other big change I’ve made is to the military=barracks page. The
> English version now explicitly states that barracks are usually part of a
> larger base or installation and so that larger installation should be
> tagged as military=base (even if that base is called Something Barracks).
> There is still a little uncertainty over whether barracks applies to
> buildings only, or an area inside a base where multiple living
> quarters/buildings are located.

I would think it could be done either way, depending on how finely anybody
wishes to map? If they want to map every accommodation building as
=barracks, that should be fine. Alternatively, if they just mapped the area
of "Quarters" as =barracks, that should also work (assuming of course that
they can identify them as such)

Thanks

Graeme