[Tagging] Proposed Feature - Voting - Electricity

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Wed Jan 20 23:57:58 UTC 2021

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 23:45:46 +0100 (CET)
Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/48.20506/16.37955

Yes, this was a big import done from OGD in Vienna with about 300k
trees about 8 years ago IIRC and there are quite some problems with them
(e.g., regarding keeping them up to date).

However, I am not so sure if this is a good example for an argument
against "overtagging" though. Most of these trees are tagged with quite
many details (species, height, circumference of the trunk,
diameter_crown, a start_date) and thus are regularly used to showcase
proof of concepts like 3d mapping based on OSM data where these tags
are used, cf.
https://demo.f4map.com/#lat=48.2040328&lon=16.3774375&zoom=19
This very clearly shows how such data can be beneficial although
looking redundantly and not fitting initially.

(I was not involved in the import and would not support a similar
operation in the future but not because of the questions at hand but
maintainability).