[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 17:14:17 UTC 2021

As said above, road-class-related access restrictions vary from country to
country (and at least in the US and in Germany, to my knowledge, from State
to State). In addition mapping communities in different countries operate
different assignments of highway values to OSM road categories.

One thing that certainly does not work is to add foot=yes to indicate a
road that is suitable for pedestrians.
The same thing is valld the other way around, foot=no cannot be used to
indicate a road as not suitable for pedestrians.

I personally would be extremely cautious about publishing safety
assessments of roads..

Regarding Italy, most roads, with the exception of motorway and motorroad
(in OSM-speak) that have no sidewalk are legally foot=yes. But most of
those are not suitable, because they are dangerous.