[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 18:38:48 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 1:01 PM Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

>> My assumption is that a road is passable by pedestrians unless there is
>> some kind of tagging that tells me otherwise.
>>
> But "passable" is nearly uncorrelated  to "suitable for jogging". I would
> use the word "passable" to indicate that it is not physically blocked, so
> that I can get through somehow.

I agree, but it is "passable" that I am trying to achieve.  My specific
goal is to capture "places where you can jog" for someone that wishes to
jog in every place, vice "places that are nice to jog".  A busy trunk road
with a passable (legal) shoulder is probably not a nice place to jog, but
for something striving to jog on every street, this is an acceptable road
to include.

So far from this discussion, this most workable answer without
country-specific exceptions seems to be "exclude cases of
highway=trunk+sidewalk=no+shoulder=no" (along with the other
sidewalk/shoulder tag variants that mean the same thing).  This will
probably inadvertently exclude something somewhere that should be foot
routable on the other end, but I'm thinking such a case could have an
explicit foot=yes.  Though, this may upset people that feel that adding
sidewalk=no to vast networks of trunk roads is tag spamming in that the
lack of sidewalks ought to be excluded.