[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 22:08:30 UTC 2021

This is quite important in Arizona because the Interstate freeways
completely replaced the previous paved roads through the Sonora desert, and
usually you would have to travel 100s of kilometers out of your way to find
another paved road. Many trans-continental bike tours take I-8 or I-40
through eastern California and western Arizona where there is no feasible
alternative.

Oregon also has this issue in a few places, where I-84 or I-5 is now the
only road, since I-84 it replaced the historic Columbia River Highway
through the Columbia River Gorge, and the old road thru the Blue Mountains,
while Interstate 5 replaced Hwy 99 through the passes in the southern
Oregon mountains (at Stage Road Pass and the Siskiyou Pass at the
California border).

Practically this means most bike tourists just entirely avoid these routes
and plan alternatives which are 100 kilometers out of the way when given
the choice, but if you actually need to get from A to B the Interstate is
the only option, other than renting a car or taking the bus.

So these particular motorways need explicit bicycle=yes and foot=yes tags.
This is an area where we can be better than proprietary maps which often
lack these details, making it impossible to plan legal (though unpleasant)
bike routes.

– Joseph Eisenberg