[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Jan 24 22:29:41 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 4:10 PM Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Oregon also has this issue in a few places, where I-84 or I-5 is now the
> only road, since I-84 it replaced the historic Columbia River Highway
> through the Columbia River Gorge, and the old road thru the Blue Mountains,
> while Interstate 5 replaced Hwy 99 through the passes in the southern
> Oregon mountains (at Stage Road Pass and the Siskiyou Pass at the
> California border).

There's only about 50 km of freeway by centerline distance that bicycles
aren't allowed onto in Oregon.  Off the top of my head, this is I 5 from WA
14 in Fort Vancouver, Washington to OR 217 in Tigard, Oregon; US 26 between
Exit 73 and I 405; I 205 between Exit 8 in Oregon City to WA 14 in Fort
Vancouver; I 84 west of Exit 13 westbound and west of Exit 10 eastbound; US
30 from I 405 to Vaughn Street; I 405 for its entire length, and possibly I
5 near the Randy Pape Expressway interchange in Eugene (though I believe
this was a temporary closure that has since been lifted).

The rest of the state's freeways are open to bicycles, and I've personally
spent way too much time riding US 26 and OR 217 in the 90s and 00s largely
because 45 MPH traffic in a 55 zone is way better to ride on when you have
a 20 foot wide hard shoulder to work with than 50 MPH traffic in a 35 or 45
MPH zone in a six foot bike lane and a driveway every 80 feet or so as is
typical in Washington County.