[Tagging] Pedestrian access tagging

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Jan 24 22:48:31 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 4:10 PM Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So these particular motorways need explicit bicycle=yes and foot=yes tags.
> This is an area where we can be better than proprietary maps which often
> lack these details, making it impossible to plan legal (though unpleasant)
> bike routes.

Given that the vast majority of US freeway miles nationally are open to
bicycles and pedestrians, I strongly recommend *always *explicitly
tagging foot=* and bicycle=* when highway=motorway in the US.  Sometimes
even in major cities the infrastructure is so bad that the freeway is the
fastest, safest and easiest option, hence spending 15 years as a freeway
cyclist in metro Portland.