[Tagging] Narrowing the application range of the smoothness tags

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 10:42:39 UTC 2021

Op wo 27 jan. 2021 om 10:32 schreef Richard Smits via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org>:

> hat I intend to do.
>
> @Peter I’m not sure I understand what you want to say. What do you propose
> to change? I had in mind to focus on describing smoothness for 4-wheeled
> vehicles; this smoothness can then still be applied to narrow ways suitable
> only for 2-wheelers (if this way was wide enough for a 4-wheeler, which
> class would be able to pass it?).

* I'm saying most people don't look through the eyes of a 4-wheel vehicle
driver. It's just silly for a hiker to see a perfectly passable path called
impassable, which isn't even a degree of smoothness, just because a car
can't pass there, mainly because of the width.
What to change? Refer only to the vehicles the scale is meant for.

* Good unpaved roads have smoothness=bad. That doesn't make much sense to
me. Looks like it's not about smoothness, but about how fast you can drive.