[Tagging] hiking route from= and to= tags

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Jul 6 20:45:42 UTC 2021

On Jul 6, 2021, at 1:36 PM, Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> wrote:
> Persisting the destination on screen can also help reassure the user that they haven't missed the exit.

Continuing my "across cultures this is often seen quite differently" theme, "Reassure," indeed.

A friend and colleague from France who I was once driving with expressed surprise that as we entered a (California) freeway from an on-ramp and again as we merged onto another numbered route:  "Why does the sign tell me the number of the freeway that we just got ON?!  That seems USELESS!"  I answered, "Those are called 'reassurance shields' and act as a confirmation that you both took the right choice to enter this road and that you are now on it and going in the right direction.  If not, you can get off at the next exit and correct your mistake."

He got quiet for a moment, then said "Oh, when you put it like that, it makes a lot of sense."

"From" and "to," whether on hiking or other routes, do have complexities and subtleties which are not always obvious.