[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Shrubbery V2

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 08:22:46 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 25 Jul 2021, at 10:07, Vincent van Duijnhoven <vvanduijnhoven at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> Take look at the quote from the gardening wiki below. There it also describes it as cultivating plants.  Agriculture is indeed a good example of what would be cultivated=intensely/fully and therefore we also imply that on the tag landuse=farmland atc.
>
> "Gardening is the practice of growing and cultivating plants as part of horticulture. In gardens, ornamental plants are often grown for their flowers, foliage, or overall appearance; useful plants, such as root vegetables, leaf vegetables, fruits, and herbs, are grown for consumption, for use as dyes, or for medicinal or cosmetic use" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardening

I am not a native speaker but this quote seems to (also) be about growing plants with the purpose of harvesting the result (vegetation, fruits, herbs), so it isn’t a good argument for the usage of the word in connection with ornamental plants.

Frankly, I would leave the last word to the native speakers of English rather than trying to engage in a discussion about their language.

Cheers Martin