[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Key:harvesting

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 02:34:39 UTC 2021

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 at 05:19, Joshua Carlson <jdcarls2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll have to see if there are clear examples of harvest limits out there.

In Australia, the crop belongs to the owner, without exception, unless you
have specific permission to collect some.

This applies to the extent that if their apple tree grows over your fence,
you are not allowed (legally) to take the fruit, while they are allowed to
enter your property to harvest it! It's even to the extent that you may cut
the branch off where it comes over the fence, but the branch, & any fruit
on it, must be returned to the owner.

For your final point, we usually call that "gleaning" when you are picking
> up the windfalls and leftovers at the end of the harvest season. I wasn't
> really thinking about gleaning being in the scope of harvesting, but it's
> something to consider.

When we've just been out camping, over this last couple of weeks, we always
walk around & collect fallen wood for the fire. Once again, you can pick up
wood that has fallen on the road & verges, but you cannot jump, or even
lean over, a fence to collect some, or walk onto un unfenced property to do
so.

But in the case of a pick-your-own orchard/farm,

Commercial arrangement, so completely different circumstances.

So, legalities of whether or not you are "allowed" to pick that fruit may
be a killer here?

Thanks

Graeme