[Tagging] issue tag|trailblazed + tag|osmc:symbol / tag|wiki:symbol

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 09:08:40 UTC 2021

David Marchal

> I totally agree with Jan: typically, hiking routes are trailblazed and use
> many OSM ways with a unique symbol; in this case, using
> trailblazed=*+osmc:symbol=* on the route makes more sense, as the symbols
> are related to the route, not to the different path segments. Without these
> routes, the paths would have no symbol and would not be trailblazed.

This is exactly the point of the trailblazed tag. It is used on a way to
indicate that the way is only visible by some kind of trailblazing, e.g.
poles or cairns. It is *not*  about waymarking routes.

Some otherwise invisible ways use symbols for this purpose. In that case
the symbol and osmc:symbol tag could be used to indicate the symbol for the
way. Again, this is still *not* about routes.

Now one could imagine a case where the only indication that there is a way,
is that a route passes over the way and you are supposed to follow the
route waymarks to stay on this way. After that, you continue your own
journey.
In that case the symbol tagged on the traiblazed way would be the same as
the symbol tagged on the route relation.

I don't know any such case. The cases I know, where a route passes over an
invisible way, the route symbols stop at say the edge of a nature area or
farmland area without official paths or ways. There, you are supposed to
follow a "path" marked with simple poles, and once you passed the area you
pick up the route symbols again.