[Tagging] Is tag leisure=sports_hall suitable for riding halls?

Robin Burek robin.burek at gmx.de
Sun Jun 6 20:57:29 UTC 2021

Hey,

Sounds coherent on many points. Feel free to write a proposal to make
the sports_hall / sports_centre approved:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process

> 3. My current opinion:
>
> 3.1. I think, if leisure=sports_hall can be used for tennis halls and
> for swimming halls, then there is no reason why it could not also be
> used for riding halls and other halls used for sports. Not only that,
> but in the case of riding halls tagged with building=riding_hall it
> makes much more sense than to use leisure=pitch. I remind you that in
> 2018 I was asking here
> (https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2018-February/035064.html)
> if it is ok to tag sports halls with leisure=pitch + sport=* +
> building=* and I was told that it is preferable to use
> leisure=sports_hall instead. Why should that be different for riding
> halls?
> Just because in American English a riding hall is called "indoor
> arena" is not a sufficient reason to use the same leisure tag
> (leisure=pitch) like for an "outdoor arena". In German we don't call a
> "Reithalle" an "Indoor-Reitplatz".
> I would reserve the tagging combinaation leisure=pitch +
> sport=equestrian + building=* for cases where building=riding_hall is
> perhaps not appropriate, e.g. building=tent
> (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Equitent_textile_Reithalle.jpg)
> or building=roof (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjVCeE-4Ht0).

building=tent is also a sports_hall.

> leisure=sports_centre is not suitable for riding arenas, as these are
> almost always only parts of some larger riding facilities and not
> centers themselves.
+1
> The wiki pages for leisure=sports_hall, building=riding_hall and
> Riding should be adapted accordingly.
> The only theoretically sensible alternative that I can think of would
> be to introduce separate tags leisure=tennis_hall,
> leisure=swimming_hall, leisure=riding_hall, leisure=*_hall ; but I
> assume that this alternative would not find many supporters (we have 0
> leisure=tennis_hall, 2 leisure=swimming_hall, 2 leisure=riding_hall, 1
> leisure=climbing_hall).
>
> 3.2. The short decsrption for tag leisure=sports_hall (in the
> ValueDescription template, currently "A building that is used as a
> sports hall or gymnasium") should be changed to "A hall that is used
> for sports, like a sports hall or gymnasium or tennis hall" to give a
> better explanation and reflect the use of this tag for other halls
> than gymnasiums that are used for sports.
MHO: Better is 'A building that is used for indoor sports, that have no
"centre" character';

> 3.3. The recently added explication about the "firm, smooth surface"
> should be removed; a sports hall simply has to have a suitable surface
> for the sport for which it shall be used, and what that surface is can
> be tagged with surface=*.
A sports_hall can have also a bad smoothness.... Why not to tag it?