[Tagging] Is tag leisure=sports_hall suitable for riding halls?

Hufkratzer hufkratzer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 06:27:03 UTC 2021

On06.06.2021 22:57, Robin Burek wrote:
> [...]
>> 3.2. The short decsrption for tag leisure=sports_hall (in the
>> ValueDescription template, currently "A building that is used as a
>> sports hall or gymnasium") should be changed to "A hall that is used
>> for sports, like a sports hall or gymnasium or tennis hall" to give a
>> better explanation and reflect the use of this tag for other halls
>> than gymnasiums that are used for sports.
> MHO: Better is 'A building that is used for indoor sports, that have no
> "centre" character';

I agree; but shouldn't we even better write:
'A building or a large room that is used for indoor sports, in
particular when the facility has no "centre" character.'

Compare:
1. Second sentence on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure=sports_hall:
'A sports hall is a sufficiently large single room, typically enclosed
with walls and ceiling, that is suitable to exercise one or more sports
indoor.'

2.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure=sports_centre#Alternatives_for_sports_halls:
'a large room for indoor sports, in particular when the facility has no
"centre" character.
A sports centre might contain one or more sports halls.'

Example see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure=sports_hall#within_a_larger_building