[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Barbershop

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:41:15 UTC 2021

Am Di., 2. März 2021 um 20:33 Uhr schrieb Peter Neale via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org>:

> Please see: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dhairdresser
> "Tag to indicate if it's unisex or for men (aka barbers shop) or for
> women. For this tagging scheme we could aim to be consistent with amenity
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity>=toilets
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dtoilets>.
>
>    - female <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:female>=yes/no for
>    tagging a female-only.
>    - male <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:male>=yes/no for
>    tagging a men-only.
>    - unisex <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:unisex>=yes/no if
>    available to all. (yes default if no tag set)"

I also agree it seems to cover all cases. Admittedly, "male" and "female"
have almost no "only" values (around 150 each, which is less than 0,5%,
based on the total numbers, not on hairdresser usage). Interestingly,
despite the wiki documentation, we do not actually provide this information
with significant coverage, unisex=yes is leading with 1.8%, then comes
male=yes with 1.6% and female=yes with 0.9%
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/shop=hairdresser#combinations

A quick overpass query in Europe showed 483 hairdressers with both tags,
male=yes and female=yes, in the world it's not so much more (548), about
13% of the unisex values for hairdressers.

While I have never heard about the classic tricoloured poles outside, I
believe we could have an additional style tag to distinguish the
traditional style barbershops rather than a new main tag.

Cheers
Martin