[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Barbershop

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 09:36:36 UTC 2021

Am Mi., 3. März 2021 um 00:15 Uhr schrieb Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <
bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com>:

> This is an excellent opportunity to reconsider the shop=hairdresser and
> shop=beauty.  Both hairdresser and beauty refer more to an amenity key
> (cultural and social) or a craft key (service / skilled work).
> A hairdresser or a beauty shop is in most cases not a place where I go to
> buy something, but where I go to get a service from a craftsmen and/or go
> for social interaction.
>
> My preference would go to amenity = salon.
> A salon is an establishment offering cosmetic treatments for men and
> women. Salon is also called beauty parlour or beauty salon. Beauty salons
> offer many treatments including, hair treatments, skin treatments, facial
> aesthetics, aromatherapy, foot care and nail manicures. Actually, in most
> African and Asian countries, most "hairdressers" offer a mix of these
> services and might even offer some food and bar like services.

We do have a tag for beauty salons:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dbeauty
Not sure this applies to the kind of salons you are describing, which also
operate a bar and provide pool tables. Maybe you should propose a new tag
for this kind of place, if it can be defined in a way that it is
significantly different from what we have. These do not exist around here,
and I am hesitant to see them in the same category as a barber shop, where
you effectively would go for hair cutting and shaving, but not pass your
leisure time. shop=hairdresser works for me, if it doesn't for your area,
rather than deprecating the established tag, see how you can deal with your
situation.

In some areas there may also be bathing facilities which offer body care
treatments by the way.

> Sometimes there are specialized salons dealing with specialized treatments
> such as hair salons and nail salons.

we have a specialized tag also for nail salons, it is under shop=beauty
beauty=nails. Btw., summarizing manicure and pedicure, while I guess these
are distinct services (who offers pedicure might not offer manicure and
vice versa) and maybe should be reconsidered.

While your suggestion to rethink this completely with amenity=salon might
work, we should acknowledge that there is already established tagging, so
my suggestion would rather be looking into how to integrate distinct
similar facilities or better specify what it is, within the current system.

Cheers,
Martin