[Tagging] Bridge highway=motorway classification

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Mar 3 17:15:15 UTC 2021

Mar 3, 2021, 03:00 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

>> I think that it is still useful - is there an intersection control before/after bridge?
>>
>> If short stretch of road (say, 8 km) has no intersection controls but outside that there are
>> traffic signals/rotaries/etc then I would not tag it as highway=motorway
>>

> What if one end of the bridge has an intersection control, while the other end of the bridge has a typical motorway_link? What if the bridge has two entrances, one of which is a motorway_link and one of which is a local street?

Personally I would not call it a motorway, but I have never visited such construction.

> I suppose a more general way to phrase the question would be: In what situations does a highway=motorway not need to be a through-route between other highway=motorways? How can a highway=motorway end?

I would say that maybe I have no problem with ending itself.
In theory someone may build 100km of high quality motorway from nowhere to nowhere
and transforming at its ends into highway=residential
(it may happen with partially opened motorways, where connecting segments remain
under construction).

I would say that in such case my problem is with tiny stub of motorway ending immediately.

> I-78/NJ-139 gets downgraded to highway=trunk > at a traffic light four blocks from the Holland Tunnel. <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/40.73115/-74.04550>>  I think the hesitancy to extend highway=trunk any further back stems from the interstate highway designation.

In general OSM road classification is not obligated to follow official classification.

> One possible approach would be to say that a highway=motorway can only end at/become a highway=trunk, not a highway=primary.

Or maybe require motorway to be reasonably long segment, say 20km?
If dual carriageway road would have traffic lights every 10km then tagging
1km of trunk + 8 km of motorway + 1km of trunk would be silly.

Similarly, if motorway has large access road leaving it and connecting with
more local roads 5km away and having traffic light there, then tagging
this 5km access roads as motorways would be silly.