[Tagging] Use of highway=track vs highway=service cemeteries, parks, allotment gardens, golf courses, and recreation areas

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 10:27:01 UTC 2021

Am Fr., 5. März 2021 um 11:15 Uhr schrieb Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com>:

> I agree, but the fact that each tool has to build a list of values
> and then classify them into main groups is not ideal either.
> you have made such a list, others also make such a list and with each
> new value, you have to make a new piece of code to say that the new
> "ultra precise" value is in practice in category A or B
>
> at least there should be a way to build this list in a collaborative way
> and easily readable by a program,

may I present: the wiki. It is not easily readable by a program, but it is
quite useful to build a list of commonly used values.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:surface

There are not so many values that machine readability would seem
indispensable.

> this would allow to build a
> preprocessor to group all the ultra detailed values into larger groups
> for those who do not need to make the difference between a paving_stone
> variant A and variant B.

ultimately, there are many things factoring in, there can't be the one and
only kind of useful abstract classes, because people have different
usecases and different context. For example what may be a nice almost paved
compacted surface might have gotten a muddy hard to pass track because of
rain. Some apps could take recent weather conditions into account, others
wont. Some would like to err on the save side, others prefer to benefit
from potentially usable additional info. A pedestrian router would make
different surface classes (and boni/mali) than a bicycle router, etc.

Cheers,
Martin