[Tagging] Let's not turn the tagging list into the Monty Python Argument Sketch (was: Deprecation - waterway=riverbank vs water=river)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 14:06:57 UTC 2021

On 06/03/2021 13:24, 80hnhtv4agou--- via Tagging wrote:
> DWG are the vandalisms police not an editorial body, Andy is just 1
> out of 13 and i do not think we can
> say DWG position is clear.

Based on the way that what I said was quoted by replies immediately to
it, I would not be surprised if subsequent readers thought that I had
said something completely different to what I actually had.

Firstly at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-March/060317.html
, Tomas makes two statements which he says are a corollary of what I've
said but which really aren't.   I don't agree with those statements and
I doubt anyone else on the DWG would either.  Maybe he was trying to
make a joke, but if so it (a) isn't funny and (b) isn't helpful.

Secondly at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-March/060319.html
Dave cuts off a quoted sentence of mine immediately before a "but" - the
half-sentence as quoted has a completely different meaning to the
original at
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-March/060306.html
.  Some of Dave's edits are of course the ones that Tomas is objecting
to; they're both misquoting me to try and shore up their own opposing
positions.

It's difficult enough trying to understand the nuance of people's points
of view when you're actually trying to do so; ignoring them or trying to
make it look like they said something they did not does not help.anyone
- it just makes you look like someone untrustworthy to have a
conversation with.  There is no such thing as "winning the tagging
list".  People will just use mail client rules to move your messages
"out of the way" so they don't have to deal with you.

Best Regards,

Andy

(for info for anyone unaware of what the subject refers to:
https://montypython.net/scripts/argument.php ,
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqn9 )