[Tagging] Let's not turn the tagging list into the Monty Python Argument Sketch (was: Deprecation - waterway=riverbank vs water=river)

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 14:27:14 UTC 2021

2021-03-06, št, 16:11 Andy Townsend rašė:
> Firstly at https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-March/060317.html ,
> Tomas makes two statements which he says are a corollary of what I've said
> but which really aren't.   I don't agree with those statements and I doubt anyone
> else on the DWG would either.  Maybe he was trying to make a joke, but if
> so it (a) isn't funny and (b) isn't helpful.

  Sorry, Andy, that was I joke, but until we get into the ministry of
silly tags... :-) I'm not going to do the things Brian did because I
think that is wrong in general. And I do understand that Andy (or DWG)
cannot solve this problem as it's roots are beyond tags.

  I guess Christoph has made a very good point about all this "saga"
further decreasing the quality of OSM data. Unfortunately majority
will never understand it.

  I will only add that to me the saddest thing is not one tag or the
other but the lack of ANY governance whatsoever which allows us -
OpenStreetMap - to get to such a bad situation in the first place.

--
Tomas