[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:05:43 UTC 2021

Thank you for the replies so far.   Just to be clear, I am not trying to
re-define this tag.  That would be foolish and doomed to fail.  What I am
trying to do is better understand, and then document, exactly which types
of roads this tag should be used for and which it should not.  This is a
huge challenge!  Consider this a draft, and I am asking you all "have I got
this right?".   I expect the answers to range from "not at all", to "close
but not quite".  After some time I will revise the draft based on feedback.

The reason I am working on this is that it is often unclear to me where the
boundaries are between 'path' and 'track' on the low end and between
'track' and 'unclassified' or 'service' on the high end.  Take Mateusz'
example of a two lane logging road.  I would not have considered tagging
that as highway=track but instead as highway=unclassified with appropriate
surface and smoothness values.  My mental model of a track is something
that is just wide enough for one vehicle, but if it is appropriate to
consider wider roads tracks in some cases I'd like to understand why.