[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 02:06:08 UTC 2021

I confirm what you are trying to explain Kevin. It's exactly how I see
it too.
If I may refer back to the way of thinking I tried to explain before is
that the way of distinguishing a path from the basic thought that every
road is a track, is that it is created spontaniously or purposely to
seperate slower traffic (whatever that may be, animals, humans, vehicles).
A path can be very wide, or very narrow. A "track" can have one or
multiple tracks, can be narrow or wide. Both can be paved or unpaved,
separation is the key factor to distinguish one from the other.
Your examples clearly support that logic.
Other examples:

-many tracks develop spontaneously besides a road.  Pedestrians start
creating a path because they feel unsafe walking on the road which
carries fast moving vehicles. Spontaneous separation. We call it a path
because it spontaneously developed out of the need to separate slower
moving traffic.

- an authority decides to make a separate cycleway along a road, again
to separate the slower traffic from the faster one. It becomes a path,
based on separation. Later, cycling becomes very popular along this
path, so the municipality decides to make it wider, so the cyclists can
easily pass each other (multiple tracks form next to each other). It
remains a path because it serves the same separation. Later the
municipality decides to pave it, to increase the comfort of the
cyclists.  It still remains a path, based on separation slow from faster.

Tracks are the remainder of this elimination process by separation:
1. Motorway / Express-way -> fastest

2. road (based on socio economic classification) or track = medium speed
or mixed fastest / fast and slower

3. path -> slower separate.

Greetings,

Bert Araali