[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Mar 9 22:20:12 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 08:05:43AM -0500, Zeke Farwell wrote:
> 'track' and 'unclassified' or 'service' on the high end.  Take Mateusz'

Okay - My differentiation:

track -> mostly or exclusive agricultural usage.
	Not when there is a single building for residential usage
	as residential traffic will outweight agricultural traffic by
	far. So farmyard access roads for example are not tracks.
service -> Private property or usage.
	Most likely Germany specific indication: Not when having names.
	Only Public roads are given official names in Germany. (Very few
	exceptions). Not for through traffic.
unclassified -> Anything public not in any higher category and not
	mostly used for living/residential access.

> example of a two lane logging road.  I would not have considered tagging
> that as highway=track but instead as highway=unclassified with appropriate
> surface and smoothness values.  My mental model of a track is something
> that is just wide enough for one vehicle, but if it is appropriate to
> consider wider roads tracks in some cases I'd like to understand why.

I dont care how wide it is. Thats just a matter of physical
representation. track is about usage. So as long as its only (Mostly)
used for agricultural (or logging, or fishing or whatever fits there)
purposes you may make it 10 lanes. It needs to be wide enough
to fit a 2 track vehicle. If it doesnt -> path.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f at zz.de