[Tagging] Initial discussion - Military Cadets

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 10:36:01 UTC 2021

I would think twice putting these "institutions" under the military tag.

In many countries it is forbidden to map military bases and that is
often enforced very strict, you get prosecuted and face a jail sentence
if they find you making pictures or being an enthusiastic OSM'er
checking your ground truth at or nearby those places. A very specific
warning to our fellow contributors is surely at it's place in those
tagging guidelines.

I do think however there are many examples of military owned
institutions that provide services outside dedicated military bases or
in military bases, as Graeme is referring to something similar ? But
without the strict security or secrecy that surrounds most of them.
What first pops up in my mind are military hospitals and these
educational institutions.

What I would suggest, to avoid problems as described above, is to add
specific attribution in amenity=school and amenity=hospital to designate
them as owned and managed by the military, with all advantages that come
with it as we have very well established tagging in those amenities to
provide all kinds of details.

We have military=training_area (1 227 uses), but that's aimed at
different kinds of facilities.

It's amazing to me that no one ever came up with amenity=school
school=military or amenity=hospital hospital=military, as they are very
common all over the world, or people just use the operator=* tag to see
it as sufficient to refer to the military ?

Greetings,

Bert Araali